Saturday, March 21, 2015

"We need more of that, don't we?"

Last week God blessed my pockets with a little change in exchange for covering a dog-walking job for a fellow seminarian. That turned into a consistent weekend job for me, which started today. On my way out of the senior living building where my new client resides, another resident wheeled her chair onto the elevator with me. She wheeled herself in facing me and smiled in reading my sweatshirt.

OK, so because I own numerous sweatshirts, I don't always remember which has what writing. This particular shirt has my school's name, but also the school's mantra "Teach Truth, Love Well." Naturally, when the woman pointed to my shirt, I was puzzled when she said "We need more of that, don't we?"

More seminarians? Well, some days maybe, other days not so much (ha)! But once I got into the car I looked down and realized that from her position seated in her wheel chair, the print staring at her was "Love Well." (sigh)

I wish I had time to converse with that lady, and depending on how long this job last I just might. But, after understanding to what her comment was directed, my eyes slightly teary, I murmured to myself  'I totally agree.'

I had to apologize to an old friend this morning because I did not love him well during a recent conversation. And pained by my own need to be loved well, I didn't love my friend they way God needed in the moment! All I can do is ask for forgiveness from both God and my friend...and that was the first thing I did this morning!

How many people are around us whom we choose to love according to our own need and/or capacity instead of according to God's purpose for us in their lives? 

No comments: