Saturday, February 28, 2015

Odd ways doubt and fear drive your success in God

"I didn’t just doubt myself as a writer. I doubted what I sensed while praying. It was just too odd to be right." (Ed Cyzewski, in his recent newsletter to which I subscribe)

Just too odd to be right. Yes sir, I lived by that thought for years; the very thought that God is determined to erase from my memory bank. And whenever I enter into a new season of oddness, I instantly remember Hosea's story. You know him, the one whom God used for His glory by telling him to marry a prositiute, have illegitimate children and then give them horrible names. Yeah, that guy! And as I write I can feel multilpe sets of eye rolling and minds wondering "Seriously?"

Whether people want to believe it or not, God is still in the business of making odd requests and commands for His sons and daughters. The more I follow Him – blindly at times – I realize things are never odd to Him, and He continues to write my story in a very odd way. Everything I've done up until this very moment sounded so odd that I've often prayed "God, why doesn't this make sense?"

Looking at my recent job history, and current unemployment, continues to baffle me. I'm a trained journalist; spent good money on that degree, yet I've spent just two of the last nine of my post-college years working in the media industry. I worked in food services during college, immediately after college, and after being severed from my copy editing job in Norfolk, Virginia in 2008.

But as I prepare for self employment as a personal chef (don't worry, I'll post more about that later), I haven't the foggiest idea why I continue to doubt if this is the right direction for me. Or maybe it's less doubt and more fear of failing. Yeah, that's it! However, the more I prepare for this venture the more "right" it feels...and the more I see more of God in it. God never wastes a situation or circumstance in our lives. We must be willing, however, to face our doubts and fears by presenting them to God (no sense in trying to hide from Him or anyone else) and following Him down those oddly paved roads.

This is only a small piece of my story, but I now find myself praying "Lord, it's so odd, it has to be right!" 


No comments: