Thursday, February 19, 2015

Man Plans, God...Weeps?

Yeah, I know that's different from the phrase you've heard and used for years. But lately I've meditated and dared to ask the questions: How DOES God feel when I plan without Him?

Well, It's been more than a year since I've written here. I followed God 1,300 miles away from home and family to attend seminary. I planned to graduate in May 2015 and return North and continue in youth ministry at my home church. I never thought twice about whether or not this was OK with God because...well, I thought it was! You know, it's like any decision you make when you feel God has opened a door. You try using all the wisdom He's given you to make the most logical choice.

But it doesn't work that way, and after four year of struggle, changes and plans detoured, I'm just now seeing that's where I went wrong. Trying to mix godly wisdom and human logic is one trick no one can turn. But why do we constantly call on God for an open door, then think we can handle walking through that door without (or very little of) Him?

In an entry of his daily devotional "My Utmost for His Highest," Oswald Chambers wrote "Whenever we are obstinate and self-willed and set upon our own ambitions, we are hurting Jesus."

That's a mighty strong statement, but when we think of scriptures – especially where Christ prays for oneness with His people like His oneness with the Father – it does make one wonder just how God takes our pledge of independence instead of out pledge of allegiance to Him in certain areas of life.

So what does all this mean? I haven't the slightest clue! But, before we go make disciples we must first be faithful disciples of Christ. He is preparing me for something greater than me. And that's my story, and here is where I'll continue to record our journey. 

No comments: