Friday, August 19, 2011

Proverbs, Day 19: Wisdom adheres to God's purpose

"You can make plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." Proverbs 19:21


I know I have some catching up to do in my postings on Proverbs...and I'm working on them. But, so much of chapter 19 caused me to reflect on my recent activities I couldn't wait until later to share. As I stood and talked to my next-door neighbor last night, so much of our conversation echoed the verse printed above. We are both here in seminary because we've been called by God to be here. However, she works full time and takes classes part time, while I'm doing the complete opposite. We both question if we're "doing the right thing." But, at the end of our conversation we both agreed that God knows what He's doing in our lives and we must keep to the path He has us traveling individually.

Think back to Day 1 of our Proverbs reading. If the foundation for wisdom is fear (reverence) of the Lord, then wisdom leads me to revere and respect God's purpose for my life. That reverence then leads me to adhere to certain actions that agree with that purpose. That can be hard at times, especially when people around you advice otherwise. And not to say they are incorrect. However, when you're walking in God's will He must be the one guiding your every step. That's the only way you're going to truly succeed! I've been in the situation where I've done my own thing and God has had to re-route me. Have you been there before? Yeah, and at the end of every situation, God's purpose always prevailed...and I'm so glad about that because His purpose and will is better than anything I can do alone!

No comments: