Friday, August 19, 2011

Proverbs, Days 8-9: Wisdom leads to eternal life!

"Joyful are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home!
For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord."
Proverbs 8:34-35 (New Livinging Translation)


Chapters 8 and 9 of Proverbs gave me goosebumbs because they simply screamed the name JESUS! So much of what I've learned about Jesus in the New Testament (the covenant in which believers today are sealed) popped into my head as I read through these chapters. The verses printed above immediately reminded me of John 17:3, in which Jesus said "And this is the way to have eternal life -- to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth." In seeking wisdom I find Christ, who is my source of eternal life. The perks of seeking wisdom continue to add up, don't they?

Verses 1-6 of chapter 9 seem purly intimate to me. Not only does Wisdom give us eternal life, but Wisdom sustains us in that life; we are continually invited to feast on what Wisdom has to offer (see verses 4-5). This reminded me that Jesus is my bread of life; I live by the words, which prove to be wise and sustaining, that come from His mouth (see Matthew 4:4) and I drink from a well that never dries (see John 4:4). Praise God!!!

No comments: