Friday, August 5, 2011

Proverbs, Days 3-4: Wisdom promotes closeness and protection

"Don't turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you." Proverbs 4:6 (New Living Translation)

The Lord revealed something cool as I read through chapter 3. Verse 34 led me to read James 4:5-8, in which the former is quoted. God opposes the proud, but gives favor (or grace) to the humble. In verses 7-8 we are encouraged to submit and draw near to God. When we draw near to Him, He draws near to us. So, in our pursuit of wisdom and knowledge of our Father, we don’t simply obtain a list of rules and regulations to follow. We don’t just fill our brains with information about Him, but we are favored enough to sit in His presence and learn of Him. We learn to revere (or fear) His awesomeness by gazing into His face and hearing  the sweet sound of His voice guide and instruct us in His truth. Can you hear Him?

In this closeness there’s also protection. Proverbs 4:6 tells us that wisdom protects us (if we don't turn from it). One way we are protected is shown in Proverbs 4:11-12,  which reads: “I will teach you wisdom’s ways and lead you in straight paths. When you walk, you won’t be held back; when you run, you won’t stumble.” This is powerful for me because it reminds me that Christ is my way, my truth and MY LIFE (read John 14:6 in the New Testament). He is my life because I've entrusted my life to Him! And in entrusting my life to Him, He leads me in all my ways! He is my way of coming into the presence of the Most High. Accepting that, to me, is wisdom in and of itself! LOL. His wisdom in my words and actions is why I won't be held back or stumble. What an awesome protection and amazing way to live! This truly makes seeking wisdom worth my time and energy.

No comments: